Toyota Adds the ALL-NEW RAV4 Prime Plug-In to Its Lineup
Toyota unveiled the most fuel-efficient, powerful, and fun-to-drive RAV4 at the 2019 LA Auto Show in November with the 2021 RAV4 Prime.
The RAV4 Prime will make its official debut next summer 2020 as the new model for 2021. As the first-ever RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, the RAV4 Prime will achieve a whopping manufacturer-estimated 90 combined MPGe. The RAV4 Prime is not only the most fuel-efficient RAV4 but it’s also the most powerful one, with an estimated 302-horsepower and the ability to do 0-60 mph in a projected 5.8 seconds!
The RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (or PHEV) can drive an estimated 39 miles on battery alone on a single charge, which is the highest EV range of any PHEV SUV on the market. The 2021 RAV4 Prime runs on more powerful motor-generators, a newly developed high-capacity Lithium-Ion battery, and a booster converter yielding an 83-horsepower jump in total system output over the (current) RAV4 Hybrid and has the most horsepower in its segment. Plus, bonus points to the RAV4 Prime for using regular-grade gasoline but still driving like a luxury/performance SUV.
Toyota says that the 2021 RAV4 Prime is meant for the performance-enthusiast, boasting two grades: the sporty SE and XSE. The RAV4 Prime SE will come with the following standard equipment:
- Heated front seats 8-way power driver’s seat with lumbar adjustment
- 7-in. Multi-Information Display
- Blind Spot Monitor
- A leather steering wheel and shift knob with red stitching
- Power liftgate
- Audio with an 8-in. the touch-screen and Amazon Alexa, as well as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility
- The available Weather & Moonroof Package includes a moonroof, heated steering wheel, heated rear outboard seats, and windshield wiper de-icer, while rain-sensing windshield wipers help make the driver’s experience more convenient
The RAV4 Prime XSE offers a sportier, more striking look than the RAV4 Prime SE. The Prime XSE offers a two-tone exterior paint scheme and exclusive 19-in. alloy wheels. Inside the XSE model, luxurious sport is a running theme:
- RAV4’s first-ever paddle shifters
- SofTex synthetic leather seat surfaces
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Ambient lighting
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated garage door opener
- Available Premium Audio that includes Dynamic Navigation and JBL speaker system
Take the XSE to an elevated level with the available Premium Package which includes:
- Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation and JBL speakers
- Perforated and ventilated SofTex front seats
- RAV4’s first head-up display
- Heated rear SofTex outboard seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Panoramic moonroof
- Digital rear-view mirrors
- Memory driver’s seat
- 4-way passenger seat
- 5-door SmartKey system
- Kick-type power rear liftgate
- Bird’s Eye View Monitor and more…
All Toyota RAV4 models come equipped with standard Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0), which groups a long roster of active-safety technologies and capabilities:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
- Road Sign Assist (RSA)
The XSE Premium Package adds Rear Cross-Traffic Braking (RCTB) and Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automated Braking (PA w/AB).
PLUS, starting with the 2020 model year, every Toyota Hybrid Battery Warranty has been increased from 8 years or 100,000 miles to 10 years from the original date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Expect the 2021 RAV4 Prime in the Summer of 2020.